Sunday, July 12, 2009

Busy bee!

Things are really starting to pick up around here work-wise, so I've been a pretty busy gal. Here's a long-winded recap on the last 2 days:

Yesterday was another sightseeing whirlwind. I had a pretty leisurely morning and met up with my boss at about 9am to prep for a pre-conference meeting with the hotel at 10am. This turned out to be a pretty intense meeting, as we walk into a room of about 8-10 people who immediately begin speaking Turkish. Luckily, the events coordinator of the hotel spoke English as well (and spent a few years in San Diego...she even went to San Diego State! Small world for sure) so she was able to translate for us. Anyway, we went over the plan for the week, but I was most excited about the Turkish pastries they had on the table for us. Every few minutes I would slyly grab one and give it a try. Hey, I'm trying to savor Istanbul while I'm here!

The meeting began to wrap up (and I was feeling pretty full from my impromptu pastry breakfast), when one of the hotel staff at the meeting asked if I was a coffee drinker and if I'd had Turkish coffee yet. I informed him that yes, I am a coffee drinker (and was secretly dying for it since I was still adjusting to the time change), and that I had not yet tried Turkish coffee. A few minutes later a waiter entered the meeting room with Turkish coffees for us! It came in an adorable mini cup (even smaller than those espresso cups) which amused me. I already knew to expect it to be extremely strong and slightly thick, as they brew it with the grounds inside. I have to report that it was a pretty interesting experience; the coffee is definitely strong, but it's also extremely flavorful. I think I was expecting just a really super strong cup of coffee, but it had a much more nuanced flavor than that. Not really my "cup of tea" (har har) for every day, but definitely worth trying...I may even give it another go before I leave here.

After that, we met up with our ever expanding sightseeing group to check out a few more things. It was sticky and sweltering outside, and we decided to take the Metro to save us some walking/sweating. We ended up walking around in Istanbul's older region, checking out the famous Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia (but we didn't go inside either as it was a Saturday and very crowded). Then we checked out the Basilica Cistern, an old underground reservoir supported by a bunch of elaborate columns, which was really cool. I took pictures but have been too busy to upload...perhaps when I get the chance I will post one or two.

After that we walked up the street and stopped at what looked like a tiny graveyard in the middle of a bustling city street...only to find that it serves as a kind of courtyard to an outdoor cafe. Of course we had to go into the cafe to cool off...how many outdoor cafe courtyards face a graveyard? I ended up trying the apple tea (delicious!) and tried a Turkish water pipe (apple flavored as well...I figured I'd better go for a theme). The water pipe was actually pretty fun even though I'm not one for smoke. But, when in Rome (or Turkey)...

Next up was the Grand Bazaar, one of the oldest covered markets in the world, which was pretty fun. Reminded me a little of Tijuana with the bright colors and vendors trying to catch your eye and haggle with you. I bought a few trinkets and we headed over to the Spice Bazaar, a similar (yet smaller) shopping area with many different spices. It smelled DELIGHTFUL in that place, but then again, I love spices!

Dinner that night was a little restaurant in Taksim Square again...this time we inadvertantly had mezes, which are small plates you share, much like Spanish tapas. I am really enjoying the food in Turkey...all the meats are really tender and flavorful, and they have things like cheese and olives at every meal (even breakfast), which definitely appeals to my taste buds! It would be pretty easy to be a vegetarian here as they eat a lot of beans, eggplant, and various prepared vegetable dishes (Mom, you would get by splendidly here!). Last night I had something the menu called a "lentil ball" which sounds disgusting but was totally scrumptious. I am going to have to find a lentil ball recipe to try at home!

Nothing much to report from today, I just worked and worked. Conference registration opened at 3pm, and I spent the morning preparing. After having a nice dinner at the hotel and finishing up a few things with my boss to prep for the mad rush of tomorrow (first official day of the conference), I am back in my room and ready for sleep...tomorrow will be an early (and long!) day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...I can see some new foods on the table at 5th Avenue. I'm thrilled that you are brave and trying some of the local foods... coffee...sounds like you are breathing in the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a great time! I'm loving the food descriptions. Can't wait to read more...and see more pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the updates, Aleah. This blog is a fabulous way to keep in touch. You are really getting the flavor (literally!) of that country. How fun! I am so glad things are going well. Did you figure out the shower thing yet? That is soooo funny.

    Keep up the good work ~ Love Mom

    ReplyDelete