Friday, July 10, 2009

Checking out the Big City

When I left you last time, I was off to freshen up and sightsee. DJ got unexpectedly called to go pick up all the conference supplies we shipped over last week at customs, so she had to go back over to the airport to clear that whole situation up. I offered to go with her, but she told me I might as well stay behind to sightsee. We had planned on meeting up with two of the conference goers who have been here for a few days to sightsee together, so she told them just to call up my room when they got to the hotel and I could meet them in the lobby.

So, with my game plan intact, I decided to finally get to that shower I'd been waiting for since I stepped off the plane. I have a nice bathroom with a big tub and shower, and I couldn't wait to clean up. Time to turn on the shower.....oh wait, how do you turn this thing on? After looking high and low and turning every dial, I still could not figure out how to get the shower going. That's been a huge problem for me here....I have no idea how things work in the bathrooms! It took me forever to find out that the toilet flushes by a panel on the wall (which looks exactly one of those sanitary seat cover dispensers, of course). I had to call up my boss to find that one out!

So, instead of wasting time trying to figure out the shower, I just took a bath. I know when to admit defeat.

After bathing and taking a quick cat nap, my sightseeing companions had arrived and were waiting for me in the lobby. Rich and Dave (also known as Cookie, since his last name is Cook), suggested a nice palace tour to ease me into sightseeing. We hopped in a cab, and I tried not to focus on the fact that everyone here drives CRAZY and that each time you step into a cab you take your life in your own hands. You must forgive me, I was so confused and jetlagged all day that I barely remember what anything I saw was called...I will be better about that in the upcoming days!

So, as I was saying...the palace:


This was about as much as I saw of it, as it was closed when we arrived. Very huge, and ornate though! And, what's this? One of those hilarious guards that have to stand there, very still and serious, while tourists take pictures? Why yes, yes it is!



After stopping into a nearby mosque (where yes, I did have to cover my head), we decided to go kill some time in Asia. What's that? You didn't know that Istanbul is the only city in the world to span over two continents? Well, consider this your education! It's just a quick 5 minute ferry ride across the mighty Bosphorus River to get to the Asian side of Istanbul, and since I'd never been to Asia, we decided to hop on over for the low low price of 1.50 TL (Turkish Liras....translates to about 1 American dollar).

On the ferry, looking back at the little ferry terminal.

Boy was the river gorgeous...and it was so nice to cool off on the ferry ride! I don't know if I mentioned this, but Istanbul is VERY. HOT. As in, it's sunny and about 85 degrees. With about 100% humidity, which makes it feel as though it's about 150 degrees. This California girl is NOT used to humidity, so I feel like I can complain about it for a least a few more days.


On the ferry, almost to Asia! Looking back to the European side of the city.

I made it to Asia, we took a walk around, and then popped back over to the European side to sit at a nice little sidewalk cafe overlooking the Bosphorus and cool off with a giant stein of Turkish beer, called Efes. I don't have any pictures of this, since at this point all I could think about was sitting down for a few moments and cooling off with a delightful local brew.

At this point, my boss DJ had finished her customs ordeal and had joined up with us. We decided to hit up Taksim Square for dinner. Again, no pics, as at this point I was fading fast...but still happy to be wandering around! Taksim Square is pretty insane....people EVERYWHERE walking around, lots of shops and restaurants. Reminded me a bit of New Orleans, with people just wandering around in the open street. We popped into a little restaurant and had some Turkish mezes (like tapas)...and I got some chicken kebabs that were delicious. I also tried Raki, the Turkish liquor. I recommend it to those who like licorice. I think I'll stick with the Efes, though!

After that, we came back to the hotel, I blasted the air conditioning, and drifted off into heavenly slumber.

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are great...I can't wait to see all of them!

    ReplyDelete